Alcohol consumption is detrimental to physical in addition to psychological health. Nevertheless, millions of individuals abuse alcohol and find it tough to stop. Among the reasons for not being effective in stopping is that alcohol is highly addictive and produces severe withdrawal symptoms.
It is thus wise to undergo rapid detox therapy at a rehab. In actuality, rapid detox therapy at a reputable rehab centre makes recovery easier. However, for some individuals, it may not be a viable option due to lack of funds, time or insurance. For them, the next best alternative is to try Alcohol Rehab in Arizona detox at home.
But it’s important to recognize that trying self-improvement approaches to stop alcohol could be harmful for fear of intense withdrawal symptoms. Yet, if a person follows few straightforward steps, it may be achieved. Listed below are certain things to be careful about while detoxifying in your home:
- Building a strategy – The odds of success at detoxing are gloomy if a person does not create a concrete plan for implementation. The way to pass time during detoxification, what to substitute alcoholic drinks with, whom to turn to when cravings strike are some questions one wants to find answers to for tackling the eventual relapse.
- Taking a rest – One must devote to detox. For this, it’s necessary to take a few days’ break from work commitments. Quitting alcohol might lead to mood swings, sleep disturbances and disorientation, which is attended to at home, not with work.
- Tapering off – Going cold turkey can be a risky proposition. But it might work if one is young and healthy. But if the individual fighting with serious alcoholism is old or middle-aged, it’s far better to taper off. It’s essential that this is done under the supervision of an expert. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms could be painful, so being cautious is vital.
- Focusing on hydration – Alcohol detox induces excessive nausea and dehydration. This may be handled by drinking loads of water and electrolyte-infused beverages during the day. An individual may also increase the number of different foods, like soups, broths, fresh juices and foods full of water like watermelon. An individual should also avoid consuming caffeinated beverages because these act as diuretics.
- Eating right – When alcohol metabolizes in the body, it turns into sugar. Consequently, in the absence of alcohol in the body, an individual might also have sugar cravings while detoxifying. This can be handled by eating fresh fruits, a bit of dark chocolate, granola bar, frozen yogurt, etc.. Alcohol inhibits the absorption of nutrients. So, an individual must consume loads of kale, spinach, salad, collard, bell peppers and tomatoes as these are rich in folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin K. Many alcoholism patients lack nourishment. They should therefore stock up on tofu, quinoa, lean meats, fish, and eggs. An individual also needs to take probiotic foods like kefir and yogurt to rejuvenate the gut with good bacteria. Additionally, eating complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, lentils, brown bread and pasta, brown rice, beans, and oats contribute to nutrient value. Complex carbs give stable glucose levels over an extended period.